Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Special Visitor

October 19, 2005
Today, a Christian African-American man whom our church does business with occasionally, stopped by my office for his scheduled visit. After all the paperwork stuff was complete, he surprised me by handing me a photo album! Inside were pictures of his beautiful new baby girl! He mentioned that they had adopted her this year, and I told him we were adopting also. He asked where we were in the process, and described a little bit about their journey as well. I had one of our adoption profile albums close by, so he was able to look through it. He seemed to enjoy looking through it, and complimented it throughout.

He stayed for quite awhile, and I tried to soak up all the information he could give me. Not only did he have some great comments about the general adoption process, but he also had some wonderful advice for parents who are potentially adopting minority/biracial infants. As a biracial couple, he and his wife have also recently been speakers for adoptive parent training classes! Since we are open to adopting a child of any race, he emphasized a fact I had read recently and pondered over, which is that "You need to make friends with people of other races who can give you the advice you need in parenting a biracial child." Then he said, "So, I am now your good friend. You and Calvin are welcome to call us anytime, and we'd love to get together for dinner & talk." He specifically encouraged us to make Christian biracial friends, if possible, since of course, that is how we want to raise our family.

So, God has succeeded in surprising us again, as he is preparing us along this journey. He had a purpose in bringing this man into my office today. It wasn't a coincidence. It was an answer to prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home