Thursday, June 30, 2005

Examinations

June 29, 2005
This morning as I was leaving for work, Calvin's doctor's office called to cancel his appointment for next week. (Guess the doctor decided to take an extended 4th of July weekend.) So, he had to reschedule his exam for the following week.

Meanwhile, I went and got my medical exam completed, so that's one more step out of the way! It was nice that I had already scheduled my annual exam months ago, so I didn't have to try and make a last minute appointment! It was such a bizarre appointment; they usually assume all of their patients want to be pregnant or on birth control, so they weren't quite sure what "educational lecture" they should give me! The nurse has always been a real nut, and says pretty obnoxious comments, but my doctor is really neat. The doctor quickly reconciled to the idea of adoption, and was excited with me. (The nurse tried to be "Educational" and told me that 95% of patients that adopt subsequently end up pregnant. The doctor and I quickly informed her of her error. The average is only about 1 - 3%!)

It's been fun coming up with comebacks for people who make dumb comments. <hehehe> :) (If people in the public feel the need to inquire about our reproductive systems, they should know they could end up embarrassed!)

At our orientation, one couple said that if someone asks, "So, are you still trying?", they respond by saying, "Do you mean, are we still having sex?" :) It stops people in their tracks!
Don't people know that pursuing adoption is a desirable and valid way of trying to grow your family? Our goal isn't to be pregnant. Our goal is to add to our family, and to be parents!

During our orientation, it was pretty funny to hear the adoptive moms tell about their early experiences during the initial days of their child's life, such as in the hospital and grocery stores! They've experienced jealous glares from recent postpartum women, and comments from fellow shoppers, who say, "Wow, your baby is only 2 days old? You look great!" <hehehe>:) Gee, Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home