Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Weekend With The Clearance Queen

June 17, 2005
Today we arrived at our hotel in Lynnwood, WA, tired and praying for a room that was at least clean. We were in town for Orientation at the Bethany office the next day. In preparation, Sheli had found a room at a Best Western for cheap on the Internet. I mean, really cheap. As in, "fifty-five dollar room" cheap. We were really hoping for a mattress at that price. But why, oh why, did I doubt the Clearance Queen? Our room was tucked back away from the hall, and very comfortable.

After checking in, we slipped into our swim suits and soaked in the steamy spa under the stars (which were above the clouds, but there nonetheless!) I gracefully (yeah, right) swam laps in the outdoor pool, while Sheli lounged on the pool deck. Wrapped in our towels, we skipped up to our room, where we dined on Cheetos and apple juice while watching the latest movie on the big screen TV. Parent Trap is such an awesome movie! In the morning, I gorged on hot waffles and freshly squeezed orange juice, complimentary of course.

Anyway, my point is that Father God took care of us (pampered us, more like it) once again. And He did it through my Clearance Queen! Yahh, let's hear it for my wife! Blood hound of amazing deals!

But wait. That's not all folks. Did you know you can barter with the cashiers at your neighborhood Gap store? No kidding. I didn't know it either until I watched with amazment as my wife wrapped the cashier around her little finger. She was buying me birthday presents - off the clearance rack. She had a coupon which allowed her to take five dollars off of a ten dollar item. When she took the item to the cashier, she found out the item was $9.99. Now in that situation, tell me if I'm wrong here, I would apologize and take that item back and find something that would probably end up being fifteen dollars. Not my dear-heart. She quickly and smoothly makes him an offer he can't refuse. "I'll give you this shiny new penny if you let me use the coupon." The cashier melted like butter. Then, just to remind the guy who really won the barter war, she flashed her Oregon driver's license and asked to be exempt from the one dollar sales tax. I swooned. She says I'm worth every penny to her.
I love you, Sweetie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home